Many people in Vasant Kunj, Delhi, have arthritis. It is a condition in which one or more of the joints swell and become tender. Joint pain and weakness are the most common signs of arthritis, which usually intensify with age.
Are you suffering from arthritis as well? In this article, we will discuss all about arthritis and how a general physician in Vasant Kunj can help you manage the condition.
At our clinic, Dr Ramit Singh the best general physician doctor in Vasant Kunj, Delhi will provide you with treatment based on the condition of your arthritis. Treatments for arthritis are mostly aimed at reducing complications and improving quality of life.
Now let us discuss arthritis in a bit more detail, starting with the symptoms.
Symptoms of arthritis
Most people in Vasant Kunj face one common symptom of arthritis, joint pain. There are other symptoms of arthritis as well; they include:
- Reduction in range of motion
Now that you know the symptoms of arthritis let us discuss the causes.
What are the causes of arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis and are common forms of arthritis people have in Vasant Kunj. They affect the joints in various ways.
1 . Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is caused by wear and tear on your joint's cartilage. Cartilage cushions the ends of the bones and allows your joints for frictionless joint motion. However, excessive usage will result in bone rubbing directly against bone, causing you discomfort, and limiting movement. The wear and tear will increase over time and cause you severe joint injury or infection.
Osteoarthritis can affect your whole joint as well. It causes your bones to change and weaken the connective tissues that keep your joints together.
2 . Rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is a condition in which your immune system attacks the joint capsule's lining. A joint capsule is a tough membrane that encloses all your joint components.
When you have rheumatoid arthritis, the joint capsule's lining swells and gets inflamed. When the condition progresses into your joints, it will gradually degrade your cartilage and bone.
Who are at risk of developing arthritis?
The risk factors of developing arthritis include :
- Family history : If your parents or relatives have the disease, you might be more likely to inherit it. Environmental conditions that trigger arthritis can make you more vulnerable to your genes.
- Age : Many forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout, become more common as you get older.
- Gender : Some arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis is more common in women than in men. Gout another form of arthritis is more common in men.
- History of joint injuries : People who have broken a joint, such as by playing sports, are more likely to develop inflammation in the joint in the future.
- Obese : Excess weight puts strain on joints, particularly your knees, hips, and spine. Obese people are at a greater risk of contracting arthritis.
How can you treat arthritis?
Your doctor will aim to alleviate symptoms and improve joint function. Before you figure out what is best for you, you might need to try a few different treatments or variations of treatments.
You can visit a physician in Vasant Kunj for consultation and find out which treatment suits you best.
Depending on the condition of arthritis, different treatments are used to cure it. We have mentioned below some of the most used arthritis medications:
These drugs will help you with pain relief but have little effect on inflammation.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs):
You can reduce both pain and inflammation with NSAIDs. Ibuprofen and naproxen are two over the counter NSAIDs. Some NSAIDs are only available with a prescription.
Nowadays, some creams contain menthol or capsaicin, which are usually used for making hot pepper spicy. Rubbing such creams on the skin over your aching joint may cause pain signals from the joint to be disrupted.
Any form of arthritis can benefit from physical therapy. Exercises will help you increase your range of motion and reinforce the muscles that support your joints. You might require splints or braces for some situations.
If conservative steps fail to relieve your symptoms, your doctor can recommend surgery, such as:
- Joint reconstruction: Joint surfaces may be smoothed or realigned to minimize pressure and increase function. These operations are often performed arthroscopically, which means your surgeon will perform them using minor incisions over the joint.
- Joint replacement: Your broken joint is removed and replaced with an artificial one. Hips and elbows are the most often replaced joints.
- Joint fusion: Smaller joints, such as those in the wrist, foot, and toes, are most often treated with this. It separates the ends of the two bones in the joint. After that locks them together until the joint heal into a single rigid structure.
Arthritis is a manageable condition. All you need to do is look for a general physician clinic in Vasant Kunj, and you are ready to begin receiving treatment.